Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Showing and getting into a rhythm

If you have done any reading on the training scale in dressage, you will come across a wonderful word - Rhythm. It plays a large part in so many of the actions that go into caring for horses - sweeping an aisle, grooming a horse, riding a good walk, trot or canter, leading them in from turnout or back to their pasture...there is a lovely flow and swing to each motion of the body and it flows when things are relaxed and calm.

Which brings me to the crux of the matter - losing your rhythm is a real problem. It creates unsettled feelings and a frown will crease your brow off and on during the day. At night, your mind wanders and you might fret about the things that are left undone or incomplete.

For a variety of reasons, my personal rhythm of working with the horses had been disrupted for a few days/weeks. At every turn it seemed as though there was something pushing me away from having a smooth day. Now, I try to not complain but there is a list of things that needs doing each day and having a good rhythm to the activities makes it quite fun! But alas, I lost my rhythm.

Today had a recognized show at Blue Goose just up the road with Wakanda in the schedule. She's been there before and had very good tests. She likes to show, so even though the rhythm has been thrown off lately - she is a fun horse. Which unfortunately spilled over into our tests today - I've lost the ability to dance with my sturdy friend in a flowing and harmonious manner! But hopefully the flow to our teamwork will come back soon and life will settle down a bit too.

In spite of my awareness of a lack of consistency and rhythm, she was pretty good. I was very pleased that she is accepting of the show environment and executed my commands politely. She is a forgiving horse in her own right and covered for me - which is such a large part of what makes her a pleasure to ride and compete!

Thanks to the crew here at the farm! Thanks to Blue Goose and their staff! Thanks to the supporters of Team Wendy!  We'll work hard at improving and fine tuning our rhythm! Thank you to the judges - all of the comments and feedback are so important to the process of becoming better dance partners!

No comments:

Post a Comment